Home » Code of Conduct
Gin Mill Swing stands for equality of all kinds and hopes to create classes that empower and excite all people.
We want you to have the opportunity to push yourself if you would like, to learn new things, and meet new people. We believe in humour and the power of not taking oneself too seriously. We believe that you should be able to unwind in an adult environment where you can see and participate in something awesome.
To support and enable these outcomes for all of our community, we have a list of requirements. By attending our classes and events, you agree to act in accordance with the following;
- Be aware that this environment is for everyone regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, appearance and religion. This is not a definitive list, everyone is welcome.
- We do not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind, including the use of racist, misogynist, misandrist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist language.
- Our events are social and a great way to meet new people. Please help keep this at a friendly level and avoid making advances that could make others feel uncomfortable.
- If someone doesn’t want to dance with you, for whatever reason (or no reason!) take it in stride and move on. By the same token, you are welcome to say “no” to a dance with anyone at anytime if you would prefer not to.
- Please use your full range of senses to protect your partners on the dance floor.
- It’s ok to let your dance partner know if a move or connection feels uncomfortable. Try to work together to find a solution that works for both of you. If you are given this kind of feedback please take it on board and accommodate for your partner.
- Finally, respect each other and treat each other with kindness.
Everyone should feel comfortable speaking up about violations of this Code of Conduct.
If you or someone you know have felt uncomfortable as a result of the actions of anyone (including students, teachers, musicians) at our events or classes, please let us know right away. We will ensure that your confidentiality is upheld and we will take the appropriate steps to deal with the situation. We will support you. Your courage in coming forward can keep incidents from being repeated.
Together with our sister school, Swing Out Central, and the wider Auckland swing dancing community, we have appointed community volunteers. For any questions or issues that may arise, related to the Code of Conduct, they are your first point of contact.